Thursday, December 10, 2015

Oldies but Goodies - Merry Christmas



A few days ago I came home from work and upon entering my kitchen I saw my two lovely sons (19 and 7yr old) dancing to Christmas songs… yes, I did suddenly realize that it is December and that certainly means it is Christmas time… and that means that Christmas songs will follow us around in all supermarkets, elevators and cars. Hence, in honor of those songs which every year so diligently remind us that we must be jolly, I would like to pay a tribute to some of my favorites:

WHITE CHRISTMAS  - old time classic. According to the Guinness Book of Records the version sung by Bing Crosbyis the best - selling single of all time, with estimated sales in excess of 100 million copies worldwide. It has been sung by artist such as Frank Sinatra, Elvis Presley and even Lady Gaga… but Bing is just one. 





LITTLE DRUMMER BOY - known "Carol of the Drum" is a popular Christmas song written by and American classic music composer Katherine Kennicott n 1941 and recorded in 1955 by the Trapp Family Singers – yes the ones from “The Sound of Music.” Yet, the Johnny Cash performance is my favorite.




RUDOLPH THE RED NOSE RAINDEER – shall I say anything more…there is a child in all of us




SILENT NIGHT (German: Stille Nacht, heilige Nacht) is a popular Christmas Carol composed in 1818 by Franz Xaver Gruber to lyrics by Joseph Mohn in the small town of Oberndorf bei Salzburg, Austria. It was declared an intangible cultural heritage by UNESCO in 2011. The song has been recorded by a large number of singers from every music genre. The version sung by Bing Crosby is the third best - selling single of all time. 




and now... get ready because you will hear them over and over and over again. Why? Because (on behalf of all the teachers in EDUCAnet) I would like to:  WISH YOU A MERRY CHRISTMAS 









1 comment: