Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Ideas Teachers Want Parents to Know


As both an English teacher and parent of a young adult (20-year-old) and a little 2nd grader, I know how important the relationship is between teachers and parents. So I’ve compiled a list of 6 ideas teachers really want the parents of their students to know that might help encourage communication and understanding between the classroom and home.
1. It is hard to believe but I (actually all good teachers) spend a lot of time planning lessons and assignments. We don’t just pull everything out of our heads two minutes after the class starts J So, If you have questions about why I am teaching certain materials in a certain way, please ask. I won't bite. On the contrary, I will greatly appreciate the effort you put in by asking the question.
2. Given my college degrees and experience, I consider myself an expert on education, but you are the expert of your own child. I want to know more about your child, so please share anything you can. If I don’t know how to deal with your child or help them – I will ask you, because you are the expert of your own child.
3. Grades aren’t as important as you think they are. So many parts of school are more important than getting straight A’s, including helping your children discover interests and how to get along with others. Learning to stand up for themselves and how to handle disappointment are also essential skills that must be learned – and better earlier than later on. I won’t give up on your child, and one, or even a few, poor grades do not define who your child is.
4. It’s normal for your child to behave differently at school and at home. Remember that school is where students practice being young adults and taking on new identities. Please make home a safe place for your child to still be a child once in a while.
5. Please talk to your child about cell phone etiquette. I waste so much class time asking students to put their phones away. And please, don’t text your child during my class. If it’s a true emergency, call the school office.
6. Also, please encourage your child to get enough sleep. Majority of the teenagers I see on any given day are sleep-deprived – walking Zombies gulping down a can of red bull.

In a way, we teachers (and I for certain) feel privileged and want to teach and be around your children… they do make us laugh. Most importantly, we want them to succeed and move on, and we certainly don’t want to make like more difficult than it already is...

2 comments:

  1. Hi Agnieszka,

    I am a graduate student working on my M.Ed. in teaching and learning at Liberty University here in the U.S. I came across your blog and the image in the header. I would like to use it in an assignment on parent engagement. Is it your artwork? If so, I would like to obtain your permission to use it.

    Many thanks,

    Candance Brooks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry.... I can be reached at cbrooks47@liberty.edu. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete